Wednesday 7 January 2015

Sydney Hostage situation a sign of things to come

Mr Abbott has described the siege as an "absolutely appalling and ugly" incident and said it has been one of the most difficult periods in Australia's history.
"This is an incident which has echoed around the world," he said.
"Tens if not hundreds of millions of people right around the world have been focused on the city of Sydney which has been touched by terrorism for the first time in more than 35 years."
Article

Note to the reader: I delayed posting this entry because of the need to rearrange my thoughts and the Christmas/New Year period.

I would like to point out that that I have written up this entry for the sake of historical record as much as giving my brief take on the events that unfolded in Sydney. In this brief article I do not wish to second guess the actions of the NSW Police or as the American reader might say play Monday Morning Quarterback.


What I am prepared to say on record is that I believe the incident is only the tip of the iceberg. In the near future terrorist attacked styled on the 2005 London bombings is likely to occur. A terrorist organisation has only to be successful once to pull off a devastating terrorist attack. Law enforcement and other agency’s need to be successful 100% of the time to prevent the worst from happening.     

No comments:

Post a Comment